Tuesday, January 8, 2013

"Who is this Encarnación?"

Jefferson City! She's a Beaut!
          My name is Alyssa Cardon and I am from Jefferson City, Missouri! Let me just tell you a little about it, just to give you a taste of where I come from... 
      The first thing I noticed when I moved to Jefferson City (I was 16) is that people there have a seemingly unprecedented amount of city pride. Is this normal? I really don't think so! I mean, to be fair, Jeff City is relatively isolated from bigger cities, and home to the Missouri state capital... 

     ...But sometimes I think Jeff Cityans have to brag about it because the merits of JC are imperceptible to the untrained eye. My other theory is that maybe the citizens of Jefferson City just opted to cheer for the city itself rather than their non-existent local college or professional sports team.


      Where does Jeff City pride come from? It's a question of the soul that is actually not answered by the Book of Mormon.

  Anyway, that is my hometown! It kills me (in a good way) when I see graffiti in Jefferson City that says something like, "Rock on Jeff City," or "Jeff 4Eva." The presence of Jeff City on twitter? Inexplicable. Just thinking about Jefferson City makes me laugh. But that fondness may also stem from the fact that Jeff City elected me to be the 2011 Winter Sports Queen... Definitely a highlight of my life.

      In other news, I am taking this class because it fulfills two GE requirements,  both Letters AND Global and Cultural Awareness! Talk about efficient! I am actually a Business Management Major with an emphasis in Organizational Behavior and Human Resources. I serve on the MUSA Leadership Council where I help connect students with internships, review their resumes, and plan events to help prepare people for future careers. I'm also an RA in Helaman halls.
MUSA Leadership Council! I'm the fourth from the right, front row!

     Honestly, everything I know about Latin American culture I learned from writing missionaries in Spanish speaking missions, my spanish class in High School, and watching Nacho Libre. I hope that what I lack in knowledge I can make up for in genuine interest and diligent study!


       I hope that was an adequate introduction of who I am! I am really looking forward to this class! 

No comments:

Post a Comment