Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Final Thoughts on Dialectic of Solitude

"It is during [adolescence] that we become aware of our singularity for the first time. But the dialectic of emotions intervenes once more: since adolescence is extreme self-consciousness, it can only be transcended by self-forgetfulness, by self-surrender. Therefore, solitude is not only a time of solitude but also of great romances, of heroism and sacrifice."(Paz, Octavio. Labyrinth of Solitude, 198.)

       Octavio Paz's essay "Dialectic of Solitude," was easily one of my favorite readings from this semester.  Paz's thoughts on loneliness and man's search for commonality were profound. He was accurate to the point that I was disturbed--does Octavio Paz know me? It sure seems like it. I recognized his descriptions on such a personal level, and because of that they resonated deeply with me.  I quickly felt like I trusted Paz, and he pulled me into his essay where he could teach me about myself and my fellow man. This essay was not written to inspire, I see it more as a detailed commentary on a singular aspect in the plight of mankind. The power in this essay comes from its effect in helping readers recognize our similarities. There is something powerful about coming to understand our universal need for validation, for acknowledgement, for communion.

         In closing, let me just say that the content we covered in IHUM260 was exceptional. I don't think that the purpose of this course was to give us a complete understanding of the humanities of Latin America. I do believe, however, that we were given an opportunity to experience a taste of Latin America through its media and recognize common themes. "Dialectic of Solitude" was just a snippet from this course, but it played an important role in helping me recognize that cultural elements, however different from region to region, stem from common human experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment